$300 is a magic number to my son. In his mind it's how much money we need to buy a wii, how much money we need to get a batman car that you can really drive like his friends and how much you need to buy a freaking large electronic remote control dinosaur. (FYI-If there's no way we're going to get it, we just tell him it's $300.) So for months he had been very interested in what exactly $300 was. He asked questions like "If I do 300 chores then can I have $300 dollars?" and I would respond with, "Sure you can." and like any good mom, arm him with at least 2 chores to start with. Half way through the first chore he would always decide that $300 wasn't worth the trouble and forget about it until the next time he wanted a wii.
So one morning I was editing and minding my own business when Tayson comes up to me at the computer and demands: "Mom! Why did you steal my $300?"
So I'm thinking: Hmmm, interesting tactic. I'll go with it and see what happens. So I say "I didn't take your $300. I didn't even know you had $300."
Tayson looks at me like I'm an escaped convict at this point and I'm starting to squirm while conteplating his future as an interregator.
Still squirming I'm thinking at this point that he's lost his bank and all $3 that he had in it. So I say "Where did you leave it last?"
"It was on the fridge, I know you took it. Give it back to me!"
At this point everything becomes clear and it clicks into place. On the fridge was an envelope with a down payment for wedding pictures in it. 3 days before Tayson had asked me what was in the envelope. And I told him $300. Apparently he must've heard "Your $300" or at least that's the only thing I can figure because he seemed sincerly upset and annoyed with me.
So I did my best to explain who's money that was and why it was on the fridge and why is was now in my bank account. He listened but I don't think he bought it. For weeks after the fact he still occasionally burst out mournfully, "Mom! Why did you steal my $300? I want my $300." This took place at home as well as while were standing in line at the grocery store with a horrified grandma type looking on. He still looks at me suspiciously every so often. Which always. . . makes me squirm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's hilarious!!
I love it. I love that it happened to be the amount you tell him expensive stuff costs. Too funny.
Post a Comment